This delicious, hearty mushroom and wild rice soup is the perfect comfort food for cold or sick days. Yellow oyster mushrooms have an incredible melting quality with a cashew-like nutty profile that adds a complex depth to this dish. This recipe can be easily adjusted depending on your diet -- vegan, gluten-free, or otherwise.
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time
5 mins 40 Mins 45 mins
- 1 lb yellow oyster mushrooms
- 2 cups purple cabbage, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 pearl onions, cut in half
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp grass-fed butter, or vegan butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups milk, dairy or dairy-free, such as almond or coconut
- 1 cup wild rice
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon zest from 1 small lemon
- Lemon to squeeze on top (optional)
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium high. Sauté pearl onions and garlic until slightly brown.
- Add mushrooms and balsamic and sauté until liquid is released from mushrooms. Turn off heat and stir in purple cabbage, herbs, and lemon zest. Remove mixture from pot and set aside.
- Melt butter in pot over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in flour to create a roux. Continue stirring until flour begins to brown and has a nutty smell.
- Add broth and milk to roux.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat up 1 Tbsp of olive oil and saute rice until brown, then add rice to the soup pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and continue to simmer for 20-25 minutes. Check rice package for cook time and adjust as needed.
- Add balsamic mushroom mixture back into pot and simmer for another 5 minutes. Adjust flavor with salt and pepper or a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve immediately.